Monday, October 17, 2016

State of the RC2016/10


RC2016/10 is a little more than halfway over... so where am I?

Pretty much in the weeds.

I'm almost at the point where I wanted to be at the beginning of the challenge. I'm still working on finishing up the SD loader routines.  Well, I've finished the SD/Micro side of things (in the SSDD1 module - Serial SD Drive) both for the real physical drive as well as for the emulator, for loading only.  The emulation also supports writes now, and both support file/directory manipuations:  Directory listings, make directory, remove directory/file. (For the FAT filesystem anyway.)

I've got a bunch of things on my plate right now, between work, finishing up a contract or two, the animatronic bird project has reappeared a bit, plus time for the family, lack of sleep, and general lack of motivation for anything.

I haven't done any of the sector IO stuff yet, as I want to get regular files working.

In any event, here's a quick bullet summary of the current state of the project:

Done:

  • Hardware for SD interface
  • Hardware for ROM/RAM switcher
  • SSDD1 process design (see image above)
  • SD drive (SSDD1) firmware (preliminary)
  • SSDD1 emulation for file and directory support
  • SSDD1 firmware for directory support and file reading
  • CP/M research to figue out what needs to be done, prior work.

ToDo:

  • SSDD1 firmware for file writing
  • SSDD1 firmware and emulation for simulated sector IO
  • Z80 SSDD1 decoder (Hex string+checksum to proper formatter)
  • Z80 IHX decoder (stream from SSDD1 to RAM writer

Gameplan tasks (Roughly in order of probable completion):
  • Z80 IHX decoder
  • Load a ROM from the SD card into RAM, switch off the boot ROM, restart, run from RAM
  • Backport emulation into the firmware to get them equal
From here, I can go down one of two paths.  I can completely flesh out the rest of the SSDD1, and get the sector IO code implemented, which is probably the best course of action, just for completeness.  Or I could start working on porting/implementing the CP/M bios ROM, which might give me the "win" kick that I need to get the Sector interface implemented... although once I have the regular file IO stuff done (which it is) the sector IO stuff is the same plus a bit more wrapper implementation... after all it's just a bunch of 128 byte files in subdirectories... so...
  • Sector IO SSDD1 emulation
  • Backport Sector IO to SSDD1 firmware
  • CP/M Bios
  • CP/M Bootloader into LLoader ROM
  • Burn new LLoader ROM to 27C512 EPROM
  • Boot a RC2014 to CP/M!

No comments:

Post a Comment